Strange Maine

Founded 2005! Freaks. Weirdos. Unmapped roads. Whispering rocks. Deadening fog. Ghost pirates. Lonely islands. THINGS in the WOODS. Home of Stephen King & Glenn Chadbourne. A place where the 4 seasons really know how to live. Maine: the way life should be! This site is a nexus for conversation about Maine's unique strangeness, people who love it, people who have experienced it, & people who are intrigued by it. History, mysteries, legends, current events, cryptozoology, & more.

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Call for information: Dowsing & Bigfoot!

Hi everyone! I'm going to try to get back to a more regular posting schedule here on the blog. All those juicy Strange Maine tidbits that keep piling up are bursting out of my file cabinet, sad and neglected! To start with, as many of you know, I'm working on a book right now that I'm co-writing with Loren Coleman, Bigfoot in Maine. We're trying to make it a thorough effort, so it's taking a little longer than we expected, but it'll be worth it in the end to have the book finished up in a satisfactory manner.

In my research for the book, I have come up with a loose end that I was hoping someone among you might be able help tie up. With that hope, I'm posting this as a "call for information."

I found this passage in a random book that has nothing to do with dowsing or Sasquatch. It's on page 167 of Peking Man by Harry Shapiro (1975). The important bit is in bold. I'd love to get in contact with someone who knows anything about the event mentioned.

"... I received a message one day that a Mrs. Apperson had telephoned my office while I was away. ... She began by identifying herself as Mrs. Apperson -- a name totally unknown to me. Then she said, 'I'm a dowser.' ... Mrs. Apperson proceeded to list her membership in some national society of dowsers and other connections with professionals in this field. To establish more fully her identity and authority, she mentioned various dowsing activities in which she had recently been engaged. In particular, she described with considerable enthusiasm her search, along with a group of distinguished fellow dowsers, for traces of Sasquatch in the Maine woods."

So, to whit: Here we have Mrs. Polly Apperson. She was the local organizer of the Norwalk CT chapter of the American Society of Dowsers (according to old newspaper snippets I found). I can only imagine that the folks she went to Maine to dowse for Sasquatch with are ones she likely met at the annual dowsers meeting in Danville VT, seeing that around 1970 Maine had the highest number of dowsers registered with the ASoD of any of the states in the US. I did find a photo of her during one of the Danville meetings doing a demonstration dowsing, from 1975, so I'm sure (especially being the local chapter's go-to person), it is likely she attended more than one year.

My puzzle is to find an account of this Maine expedition. My guess would be that it is somehow related to the Durham Gorilla sightings of 1973. And it would have happened before the book went to press in 1975. Do you know anyone in Maine's dowsing circles who might have been involved, or know who was?

The other interesting Maine/Sasquatch/dowsing connection I'm curious about is a report from Bigelow Mountain in 1946, when it is reported that four dowsers saw a large man, at least 7 feet tall, carrying a huge rock, covered in short dark hair, and with long hair growing from his head ("like an Indian in the movies") as well. If by any chance anyone knows more about that event, I'd also be very pleased to hear about that!

Please feel free to broadcast this query further. I'm having a hard time finding much in the archives I have access to, and a first-person account is far more exciting and (hopefully) more accurate, as well as a great chance to record an obscure piece of Maine history.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 11:51 AM, Blogger Peter Muise said...

Michelle, I love this post! It makes total sense for dowsers to look for Bigfoot, particularly if they think he/it is some kind of supernatural energy and not just an animal. It looks like some of them found him/it, which is great. I just posted something about dowsing myself a couple weeks ago. Looking forward to reading your book when it is published.

 
At 12:49 AM, Anonymous Bigfoot Information said...

Has there been any bigfoot sightings in the "100 mile wilderness" by appalachian trail hikers?

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Michelle Souliere said...

Hi there! If there have been, folks have kept them to themselves so far. I haven't heard a peep from anyone about that, but I wouldn't be surprised. It's certainly a remote area suited to staying out of the public's eye.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

MainePages.com