Friday, May 05, 2006

Gigantic TV Repairman


Here is the “Big Toolbox Bearing Guy” that Michelle mentioned in the comments section of the Gigantic Maine post a few days ago. The big guy is actually a sign for Hawkes Plaza, where Al Hawkes used to own and operate a tv repair service. Al not only installed the sign, he also made it!! Now that's impressive and it brings me untold amounts of joy. Like many other children, I was always completely enthralled when my parents drove past the moving repairman.

The 13 foot metal biped’s arm could be seen swinging back and forth from 1962 until 1989, when Hawkes was informed by the Maine Department of Transportation that moving signs are illegal in Maine. The fear is that the movement of the sign could cause a driver to divert his attention rather than watch the road. The MDOT does not explain why this fear does not apply to children, joggers, bicyclists, pets, and other cars, all of which are known to move much more than a hulking metal serviceman with only one moving appendage and a foot bolted to the ground.

The current sign owner, Bill Umbel, summed the law up very nicely when he said, “If something like this sign is going to distract you enough to cause an accident, then maybe you shouldn't have a driver's license in the first place."

Articles from 2005-
Beloved Sign Will Stay
Repairman Walks Again

7 comments:

Michelle Souliere said...

YAYYYYY!!!!! I love him with all my heart. It's even cooler that someone handmade him specially. Wow. I feel blessed by the existence of the giant TV repairman.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I can't believe I've never seen him before. Now I'm going to have to go make a pilgrimage to Westbrook!

Michelle Souliere said...

RevJ-- He's in Windham! Which is not to say that Westbrook is not a good place to make a pilgrimage to.

Anonymous said...

Ah ha! Good to know, thank you Michelle. In my defense, both articles linked said "Westbrook."

Michelle Souliere said...

RevJ -- Good heavens. I wonder... maybe he is right near a town line? Or maybe I am just confused? Or maybe Windham and Westbrook like to exchange boundaries here and there.... Hmm. I will have to investigate.

Chris said...

If Hawkes Plaza is across the street from Highland Variety (as the first story says) the repairman stands in Westbrook, about a half mile from Windham line (acording to Google Maps and my DeLorme Atlas).

Michelle Souliere said...

Thank you Chris! Ahhhh, now we can all rest easy.