Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Ghost Town Ahoy!


Way back in the early days of Strange Maine, in November 2005, I posted about one of Maine's more unique ghost towns, Flagstaff. I just picked up Fessenden S. Blanchard's Ghost Towns of New England (1960), and it has a whole chapter on the subject, so expect to see more on the underwater town soon.

Meanwhile, I leave you with a couple of quotes from the town's survivors, from Blanchard's text:
"I didn't mind so much having to give up our home," said one of the flooded-out inhabitants. "What I did not like was having to move the bodies of my father and mother to another graveyard."

"We were one happy family and now we're scattered all over the place," another former citizen of Flagstaff mourned. "Did someone tell you about Captain Wing's idea of a Noah's Ark, so that we could all still be together?"
Photo of Flagstaff Village from the Maine State Archives.

No comments: